Thursday, January 14, 2016

Leonid Zhabotinsky, “Schwarzenegger has always been my fan” – SPORT – EXPRESS

In the 78 th year, died two-time Olympic champion in weightlifting Leonid Zhabotinsky. “SE” are excerpts from an interview with a multiple record holder, which he gave in July 2008 before the Games in Beijing.

DOSSIER “SE”
Leonid
Jabotinsky was born on January 28, 1938 in the village Uspenka of Sumy region.
Two-time Olympic champion in the heavyweight (1964, 1968). Four-time world champion, six-time European champion. Multiple champion of the USSR, 21 times amended the table of world records.

Leonid Zhabotinsky and Yefim Shainsky. Photo Yefim Shainsky, & quot; FE & quot;

Leonid Zhabotinsky and Yefim Shainsky. Photo Yefim Shainsky, “SE”

Rezazadeh, do not think I would yield

– The question you multiple world record holder, it is impossible not to ask. What is the limit of growth results in weightlifters heavyweight? Iranian Rezazadeh lifted 263 kg. Can a man ever to hold over your head, let’s 300 kg?

– Let’s look at things realistically. For once raise three quintals person is unable to. Until … Who knows, maybe in the process of evolution ever appear unusual heroes growth under three meters.

And the records are always little by little will grow. Remember when it seemed that 10 seconds to one hundred meters – is the limit. Nothing like this. According to a few hundredths of a second from the people began to “round” pinch off the result. And as my rod gradually tyazhelel. No doubt the guys will continue to slowly but add. It would be desirable that the tone was set by the Russians. As far as the concrete results, I think, to push 270 kg is quite realistic. But for this, you may need some other method of training. And, of course, necessary that came a talent that would differ a great work ethic, would get into good coaching hand, would be psychologically stable.

– Imagine that you now 25 years old. What result would show in today’s environment, with modern methods of training?

– If I knew in my youth as much as now … That’s why it is very it is important that a number of the athlete was a good modern manager. I’m a mentor luck – initially trained by Michael Svetlichny, then I began to work with Yefim Eisenstadt, and in the team and with Alexey Medvedev.

Of course, today I picked up a lot more, than forty years ago. Through techniques of loads supply. Do not forget that the youth came in the postwar period. Mom and dad worked at the Kharkov Tractor Plant, a special plenty on the table we had. And I, brother, grandmother and parents lived in one room of 14 square meters. In general, I had hard times. The current generation is still easier. But then I just rushed to the stadium. Incidentally, the first master of sports icon was like a shot putter. He played in the All-Union sports even trade unions. I remember, won the Estonian Heine Lipp, who have so little confidence in that so never and not released to the international competitions. I pushed the core of 13 meters with “penny”. It is the sector rolled and knocked check the record of the USSR. This gave rise to one of the Moscow newspapers write about me: “A young Jabotinsky destined to beat the all-union record.” In principle, the prediction came true – but in another sport.

– We’re a little distracted …

– Go back to the bar. Even at the turn of the sixties – seventies, I was psychologically ready to rise to a new level of performance, planning records. I think in the current environment with today’s techniques, I did not yield to Rezazadeh. And then, forty years ago, to achieve more, alas, prevent injuries, sores.

– But, in spite of the health problems you after a few years break, all- still managed to return to the sport.

– I sat down in the kidney of large stone. Wonderful Boris Gekhtman surgeon during the operation I did not cut the muscle, and burst – so soon healed. And he said to me: “Will you marry another podium!” And he was right – I then re-established world records. But somehow, playing volleyball, seriously damaged meniscus: after a jump landed badly, and his knee could not stand – still weighed in at 180.

 Leonid Zhabotinsky. Photo Joseph Shainsky

Leonid Zhabotinsky. Photos Joseph Shainsky

THE BEST DOPING – borsch with MEAT

– What is this phenomenon – Rezazadeh?

– He’s a very intelligent coach. And he willed guy, smart, knows how to prepare yourself for the main starts – both physically and psychologically. Understands: for the result from something in life that can be done, should be discarded. In his case, everything came together: the talent, character, intellect, desire to devote himself to the cause, the desire to work. The latter is more important than talent … Two years ago, we communicated with Rezazadeh Congress of the International Weightlifting Federation in Turkey. And that’s where I told him that I dream to spend in his native Zaporozhye tournament ten strongest heavyweight in the world. By the way, going to these events, and Arnold Schwarzenegger, who told me: “Leonid, happy to see you come”.

I wanted to hold this tournament this year (in 2008 th. – Note. “SE” ), but it did not happen: I did an operation on his knee. And Arnold, not all was well: the son of a motorcycle had an accident on California storms hit. But I’m in touch with Schwarzenegger, and my eldest son Ruslan in constant contact with his secretary. I hope everything will turn out.

– How did you meet with Schwarzenegger?

– It turns out, back in 1965 when I came to Vienna to celebrate the anniversary of the newspaper “Volksstimme,” he said, 17-year-old boy took my autograph … At the end of January 2004, my home phone rang from the post office and was told that for me to get the international telegram. Within a quarter of an hour it was in my hands, and I read that California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger invites. Sin had to give, and we Ruslan flew to the United States. Schwarzenegger took us in the governor’s office, where we had a long talk about sports, politics, and about life in general. It turned out that Arnold was rooting for me even at the Olympic Games in Tokyo – despite the fact that my rivals were Americans Shemanski Gubner … and then, flying on an airplane the governor, we will in a few days got acquainted with California. I remember, and how, together with Arnold visited the World Championships women’s bodybuilding. After the competition, came up to us, “Miss Olympia” Linda Mirren, with whom we exchanged a few words. In general, it was very interesting, and time flew away quickly.

– In a tournament you probably gonna call today and the best Russian “strand” Chigisheva. How to assess its prospects? Will he soon overcome Rezazadeh?

– To answer this question, we need to know, as they say, inside the athlete. Unfortunately, Chigisheva not familiar. The assessment could give only if regularly communicated with him, understand his psychology. But, of course, the guy on the platform saw … Technically Chigishev doing things right.

– I guess it is for his weight class still legkovat?

– gain weight is not a problem. The main thing that was hard-working and competent, modern approach to training. Actually I hear the opinion, saying that Beijing win Rezazadeh nobody can. Do not be in a hurry to conclusions, because new change grows. Young boys in training may even show good results, but to catch the Olympics spirit and give to the surface records. In general, in the heavyweight category does not rule out a surprise. In the end, the eternal champions in the sport does not happen. But great athletes certainly remember for a long time. Once the Kiev middleweight Gregory Novak became the first Soviet world champion. What a boost it gave the victory the development of our sport in the country! And I wanted to be like him, dreamed of becoming a world champion.

– Now everyone is talking about doping in sport. Among those particularly “distinguished”, weightlifters …

– Unfortunately, various stimulants now indulge in all kinds of sports. Much of this evidence … Although I am not a doctor, and I can not say, they say, Ivanov, Petrov and Johnson take something forbidden. Specifically argued that an athlete – a sinner, you can, of course, only after the results of all analyzes. But I convinced that those caught for doping, we should not disqualify for six months, not two years, but for life. Another will discourage others.

– I’m sorry for the indelicate question in your time athletes dope taken?

– I do not even know what it is. For me it was important to my mother borscht Navara and it sailed a good piece of meat. Best of doping does not happen.

– What do you expect from the upcoming Games in Beijing?

– The Chinese will go all out to win as many medals. Organizers still … but the team of Russia, the US, Germany and other leading sports powers tourists will not. But weightlifters heavyweight battle expected real hard – in this category, as always, the victory is particularly prestigious. And not only for the individual athlete, but also for the whole country.

 Leonid Zhabotinsky. Photo Joseph Shainsky

Leonid Zhabotinsky. Photos Joseph Shainsky

STORY Japanese emperor

– In the years when you shone on the platform, you are lucky enough to meet many famous people of the country. What meetings especially remember?

– Do not forget the smile of Yury Gagarin. I became acquainted with him in 1962 on the ship “Georgia” after my victory in the tournament at the eighth World Festival of Youth and Students in Helsinki. He questioned me about the sport, I have it – on the cosmos. I remember his eyes closed, Gagarin suddenly said: “You can not imagine how happy I am that first flew in space.” And I wondered: “How do you raise such weight?” And I told him in turn: “And how do you fly in space” … Communicate great missed, as they say, and a cup of “tea”. With us, even Muslim Magomayev was – he was just in those days made his debut with the song “Want to whether the Russian war.” In general, we were young, happy life. Later I met with Gagarin at the Congress of the Young Communist League.

– probably crossed with the leaders of the party, the state?

– Once I had a talk with Kosygin. He asked if we could hold the Olympic Games in Moscow. What could I say? He said only: “If the good work, to the right” … And in the 1964 Olympic Games in Tokyo, the national team accompanied by Nikita Khrushchev. At the same time, and then staged a celebration in honor of the winners of the Winter Games in Innsbruck. But after the political developments in our country that have occurred just in time for the Tokyo competition, Olympians met in the homeland was the new Secretary General Leonid Brezhnev. Incidentally, in a Japanese newspaper the day after the tournament heavyweights published two pair of portraits – Khrushchev and Brezhnev, and I Vlasov. The signature was: “Pali head of state and the strongest man in the world.” I really wanted to bring the newspaper back home, but to take her across the border did not dare. Time was that. And the story of the emperor was still fresh in the memory.

– I remember, there was much talk about the fact that at the close of the Games, you have not bowed, as required by the protocol, State flag of the USSR before the first person in Japan.

– I long for that different chiefs pesochili on any desk … and called for his “misconduct” instead of the main award of the country – the Order of Lenin received only the Order of the Red Banner. But, returning his thoughts to the closure of the Olympic Games, I am sure – I did the right thing. I am proud that carried the banner of the Soviet Union at arm’s length and are not inclined to it before the Japanese emperor. Thus, I think, once again emphasized the power of our country.

I remember before the march bearers gave a special belt where the shaft is inserted. But I decided to do without him. Generally banner weighed 16 kilograms, and with him had to walk 100 meters. I thought I heard. And I have a right forearm injury. If the flag lowered, she would have to catch him with the other hand. Do not be nice. And humiliate myself did not want to. However, not only myself, but the country. Great country. Like, how is it that I, her representative, old flag …

– time already were talking about the Tokyo Olympic Games, we can not ask about your key episode Battle Vlasov. As you know, the second approach in the clean and jerk, you do not have 217.5 kg – the weight is greater than at the time the world record. Moreover, in that attempt it looked absolutely hopeless – dropped the bar by dragging it only to the knees. Once you have this weight in his last attempt she came up to lead the triathlon Vlasov and also did not take. They say seeing your bad attitude, finally came to believe that has already become a champion, saying that Jabotinsky needed for victory 217.5 kg in the final approach, not pushes. But you very suddenly Vlasov in a last attempt confidently took the weight – and won the gold. Many people argue that the second approach is deliberately flunked Jabotinsky. They are right?

– All this talk about the fact that I deliberately did not take the weight of applesauce. Just a second approach has been unsuccessful in all respects – went to the bar enough collected to forget about technique. Believe me, I did not have the intention to outwit an opponent. Well, as much as possible in the event of such a grand scale and the huge psychological filament lose approach, penultimate attempt! What kind of tactics then you can talk! With such a “trick” the easiest to outsmart himself. And, frankly, I was sure that Vlasov in a final attempt to 217.5 still take. Again, each approach has its weight in gold. In general, in the third, I was going to, himself said: “Raise all costs!” And he took.

Courage was such that the rod flew upward like a suitcase on the top shelf. I think if you want to be pushed to and 230 kilograms. Incidentally, this weight in training me to conquer the … Then the chief judge in Tokyo, we had an Englishman, Lord State clearly no sympathy for the Soviet Union. When lifted 217.5 kg, he gave the go-ahead, “Lower!” But I thought, “No, just in case, hold it still.” State Poor, already risen from his chair and again shouting: “Down!” Only after the second command post, I gave up. Hall roared … Then the Japanese newspaper wrote: “Who has not seen the fight Jabotinsky Vlasov, who had not seen the Olympics”.

Leonid Zhabotinsky. Photo Joseph Shainsky

Leonid Zhabotinsky. Photos Joseph Shainsky

The first car was a “Zaporozhets” from the factory “Communard”

– Your last world record in triathlon equaled 590 kg. All were confident that you will overcome the first line “600″. Why not work?

– First of all, because of problems with the kidney … But even when in the summer of 1967 made 590, and 600 could dial . At competitions in Sofia in each of the disciplines used only two approaches. In actual fact, my amount was 594 kg, but the then existing rules result in every movement had to be a multiple of 2.5 kg.

– After the end of his sports career you drove a military adviser to Madagascar. When leaving, weigh under 170 kg, and on his return after three and a half years – 105. Why so thin?

– In Madagascar, there is such a “firm” transport : take seat in a special car, and the man behind you pushing. When I sat down, the first thing I got a scolding from his wife, Raisa, “Do not shame you – the Soviet people! How is it that you were someone carries!” Then I saw the sad face of the local “driver”, which oh how difficult it was to move a wheelbarrow with my weight lost … But, of course, not so. Everything was done deliberately. Although little and booster, but the former was no longer loads. Just I thought that excess weight I do not need. But, apparently, a little too far. Even heart began to feel. Already on arrival in Moscow doctor told me: “Leonid, your body is used to a greater weight, you definitely need to recover a little.” Now my weight is 122 kg.

– And what fate was in the Moscow Institute of Entrepreneurship and Law?

– After returning from Madagascar, I was offered a job at the Moscow Institute of Commerce.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment