Thursday, October 9, 2014

Northug has come to prison – BBC

The court sentenced the famous Norwegian skier Petter Northug to a prison term of 50 days for driving while intoxicated.

The two-time Olympic champion in cross-country skiing Norwegian Petter Northug was sentenced Trondheim to 50 days’ imprisonment. The Prosecutor’s Office requested the defendant to 60 days imprisonment, but the judge issued another decision. In addition, the nine-time world champion will also have to pay 185 thousand. Kronor (about $ 26 thousand.) Fine.

Here it should be recalled that on the night of May 4, a vehicle belonging to the famous Norwegian skier, was in a serious car accident. At night, “Audi”, in which two people were under the age of 30 years, off the road and crashed into a road barrier.

Originally there was no evidence whether the athlete was in the car time of the accident. In this case, it was reported that as a result of a passenger hurt and was taken to the hospital, and the driver was detained by police after trying to escape. Both were taken blood tests to determine whether there has been driving under the influence.

«He is in contact with the police, the more I will not say anything” – then claimed his manager Are Langos.

Immediately after the traffic accident Northug said that behind the wheel of his car was a different person. But then he admitted that he was behind the wheel of a car drunk. Norwegian also publicly apologized in connection with the situation that occurred.

«I want to offer my deepest apologies for what happened. I am very unhappy now and disappointed by his action. At the same time I am glad that my levity did not lead to more serious consequences. I openly told the police about what happened, and ready to be punished for their actions.

I fully agree with the expectations of the public, that is soon to tell you more about what happened. I want to do it after a deep think the situation with their families. I hope the media will treat it with respect. I know that I am a role model for many young people, and agree entirely that did not behave as it should be. I want to apologize to all whom I disappointed. I promise that I will draw a lesson from the situation so as to grow as a person ».

I know that this will probably be the hardest race of my life, but I would like to make a bet on what will succeed . I need to digest what happened. I know I let all and want to do everything I can to turn the incident into something positive, “- quoted Norwegian skier TV2.

September 16, it became known that the famous athlete was charged with driving vehicle while intoxicated, leaving the scene of the accident and making false statements. In total, the skier has been charged with six counts.

In this case, going to Petter defend himself in court, despite the fact that he could be deprived of a driver’s license for life. But as early as September 25 Northug negotiated an agreement with the Federation of Ski Norway and in the coming weekend received permission to act in the international competitions of the season – 2014/15.

Also noteworthy is the fact that on 7 October Petter Northug in the ranking of the most popular athletes of Norway walked eight times Olympic biathlon champion Ole Einar Bjoerndalen.

A survey carried out by Sponsor Insight, showed that compared to April’s results Northug climbed from fifth place to third, overtaking eminent biathlete. Moreover, Petter scored an equal number of votes, with the famous skier Aksel Lund Svindal, but lost Marit Bjoergen and Therese Yohaug.

Other news, materials and statistics can be found at page Winter Sports .



See also:
LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment